The Borders home of the Stuarts of Traquair since 1491. The Stuarts were staunch Jacobite supporters: the Fourth Earl was imprisoned twice for his Jacobite sympathies and the 5th Earl once. The Bear Gates at the top of the main drive were reputedly closed in 1745 following the visit of Prince Charles Edward when the 5th Earl promised they would never be opened again until the Stuarts returned to the throne. The privately-owned archive is rich in Jacobite material and is available to researchers on application.
Opening hours (seasonal). Admission Charge. Car parking, refreshments, shop.
Phone: +44 (0)1896 830323