The ancient castle was garrisoned by Government troops in 1715 but retaken by the Jacobites before the battle of Sheriffmuir. In 1719 the Jacobite garrison was subjected to a three day naval bombardment and then demolition that left the castle derelict for two hundred years . A twenty-year rebuilding project was completed in 1932.
Opening hours (seasonal). Admission charge. Parking, shop, café.
Tel: 01599 555202
Fax: 01599 555262