On 19 August 1745, eight months before the Battle of Culloden, 1,200 Highlanders gathered in Glenfinnan to pledge their allegiance to Prince Charles Edward Stuart. After raising the royal standard they set off on their campaign to regain the British throne for a Stuart king. In 1815, an 18m-high monument was built as a memorial to the bravery of those who fought for the Jacobite cause. The site is now in the care of the National Trust for Scotland and is a centre for hill and lochside walks. There are visitor facilities and an exhibition with Jacobite artefacts and a model of the 1745 Gathering
Monument, visitor centre and café have opening hours. Visitor centre admission free. Admission charge for monument. Parking charge. Free to NTS members.
phone 01397 72225