This large thirteenth century castle passed to the Erskine earls of Mar in 1626. They remained loyal to the catholic King James VII and II following his exile in 1688, and eventually became well-known Jacobites. In 1689 the castle was burned down by local Jacobites to prevent it being used by Government troops during the Jacobite rising of that year. In 1715, John Erskine returned to Kildrummy to begin a rising in support of James VII’s son, Prince James Francis Edward Stuart, ‘the Old Pretender’. When it failed, the earl went into exile, and Kildrummy remained a ruin. It is now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.
Seasonal opening hours (please check). Admission charge (free to HS members).
telephone: 01975 571 331