A spectacular bastioned fortress on the shore of the Moray Firth built after 1746 to overawe and subdue the Highlands. It provided a secure base for large numbers of Government troops who could be supplied by sea. It remains substantially intact and is still used by the British Army. In the care of Historic Environment Scotland.
Opening hours. Admission charge. Free to HS members. Car park.
Phone: 01667 462 834