Listing Type: Collection

Castle Fraser

Built in the fifteenth century with later additions it is one of the largest tower houses in Scotland. Clan Fraser were (generally!) Jacobite supporters and included the famous Simon 'the Fox' Fraser, Lord Lovat. Some of his letters are on display in the castle.

Access

Seasonal opening, please check. Admission charge (free to NTS members).

Website

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/castle-fraser/

Contact

email: castlefraser@nts.org.uk
telephone: 01330833463

Area of interest
1715 1719 1745

Leith Hall, Aberdeenshire

Built in 1650, with later additions. Ten generations of the Leith-Hay family lived here until just after the Second World War. They donated the house to the National Trust for Scotland along with all their furnishings and art. The collections contain several interesting items gifted to the family by Prince Charles Edward.

Access

Seasonal opening. Admission charge (free to NTS members).

Website

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/leith-hall/

Contact

email: leithhall@nts.org.uk
telephone: 01464 831216

Blairs Museum, Aberdeen

A museum of Scottish catholic history with important collections from the former Scots Colleges throughout Europe. The significant collection of Jacobite items includes many portraits.

Access

Opening hours (seasonal). Admission charge.

Website

https://www.blairsmuseum.com/

Contact

Tel: 01224 863 767
Email: curator@blairsmuseum.org.uk
Web: www.blairsmuseum.com/contact-us/

Elgin Museum

Scotland's Oldest Independent Museum (1843). Has a number of items with Jacobite links including an 18th century travelling cutlery set owned by Robertson of Struan, one of the Jacobite commanders in the Forty-Five, Jacobite era Highland weapons, items that are said to have been found on the Culloden battlefield, and a cup said to belong to Flora Macdonald.

Access

Opening hours (seasonal). Admission free.

Website

https://elginmuseum.org.uk/

Contact

email: curator@elginmuseum.org.uk
Phone: +44 (0)1343 543675

Area of interest
1745 Collection

Scone Palace

From at least the 9th century the crowning-place of the Kings of Scots, a highly symbolic site and, since 1604, the home of the Murray family who were fined and imprisoned on multiple occasions for supporting the Jacobites – in 1689 for giving dinner to Claverhouse. David Murray, 5th Viscount Stormont, played host to the 'Old Pretender' (the Stuart James III and VIII) for three weeks at Scone in 1715/16 when the palace was garrisoned by a special royal bodyguard and James published several Royal Proclamations in an effort to set up his rule in Scotland. His coronation, planned to be held at Scone on 23 January 1716, never happened and the 5th Viscount was again fined and jailed along with his son David, later the 6th Viscount. Undeterred, David’s sisters entertained Prince Charles Edward at Scone thirty years later during the ’45. David's younger brother James was created Jacobite Earl of Dunbar in 1721 and became Prince Charles Edward's Governor and tutor. The collection contains Jacobite portraits and items from the Viscounts Stormont.

Access

Opening hours (seasonal). Admission charge.

Website

https://scone-palace.co.uk

Contact

Tel: 01738 552300
email: help@scone-palace.co.uk

Scottish National Portrait Gallery

The Scottish National Portrait Gallery opened to the public in 1889 as the world’s first purpose-built portrait gallery. Its collections contain images of all the major characters who took part in the the Jacobite Risings and the Government response. Room 4 is currently displaying 'Imaging Power: The Visual Culture of the Jacobite Cause'. The collection includes several very good portraits and miniatures of Prince Charles Edward Stuart, James VIII and III, Prince Henry/Cardinal York, Viscount Dundee, James Drummond, third Duke of Perth, and Flora Macdonald. There are also collections of Jacobite glasses and Jacobite medals. Please check current exhibitions before visiting as these do change.

Access

Opening hours. Admission free. Shop and cafe on site.

Website

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/visit/scottish-national-portrait-gallery

Contact

Phone: 0131 624 6200
Web: https://www.nationalgalleries.org/content/contact-us

Area of interest
Collection

Holyroodhouse

The renaissance royal palace at the foot of Edinburgh's High Street was used by Prince Charles Edward Stuart for six weeks in 1745 after the Battle of Prestonpans, and became his court and headquarters in the city. The Great Gallery was used as the Prince's Audience Chamber during the day, and transformed in the evening for extravagant balls and receptions. The Prince dined in public in the Ante-Chamber and the sumptuous bed where he may have slept is in Lord Darnley's Bedchamber. The Prince left Holyroodhouse in October 1745. The Royal Collection contains many important Jacobite items.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge. Cafe, shop. Limited parking nearby. Accessible on foot of by public transport from the city centre.

Website

https://www.rct.uk/visit/palace-of-holyroodhouse

Contact

Contact: https://www.rct.uk/about/royal-collection-trust/contact-us

Abbotsford

Abbotsford was Sir Walter Scott’s creation and, after his death in 1832, somewhere visited by millions. It was built on the proceeds of a phenomenally successful literary career, and Scott became determined to keep it in his family as he worked to pay off huge debts after near-bankruptcy in 1825. Scott's novels were key in rehabilitating the Jacobites and sparking the Victorian interest in the Highland clans. The collections contain many items reputedly owned by Jacobites including Prince Charles Edward and Rob Roy.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge. Café, visitor centre, parking, shop. Estate walks and trails.

Website

https://www.scottsabbotsford.com/

Contact

Tel: +44 (0)1896 752043
Email: enquiries@scottsabbotsford.co.uk

Area of interest
1715 1745 Clans

Black Watch Museum

Historic Balhousie Castle is both the home of The Black Watch and the unique setting for their regimental museum. The castle was owned by the Hay family, the Earls of Kinnoull. The Seventh Earl and his heir were imprisoned in Edinburgh Castle in 1715 for their Jacobite sympathies. The Black Watch was founded in 1739 as one of the companies that provided a 'watch' over the Highland clans. It was known in Gaelic as Am Freiceadan Dubh, 'the dark or 'black watch. The displays illustrate the history of the regiment.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge. Parking, café, shop.

Website

https://theblackwatch.co.uk/

Contact

Phone: 01738 638152
Email: enquiries@theblackwatch.co.uk

Area of interest
1745 Collection