Listing Type: Castle

Kildrummy Castle

This large thirteenth century castle passed to the Erskine earls of Mar in 1626. They remained loyal to the catholic King James VII and II following his exile in 1688, and eventually became well-known Jacobites. In 1689 the castle was burned down by local Jacobites to prevent it being used by Government troops during the Jacobite rising of that year. In 1715, John Erskine returned to Kildrummy to begin a rising in support of James VII’s son, Prince James Francis Edward Stuart, ‘the Old Pretender’. When it failed, the earl went into exile, and Kildrummy remained a ruin. It is now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

Access

Seasonal opening hours (please check). Admission charge (free to HS members).

Website

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/kildrummy-castle/overview/

Contact

telephone: 01975 571 331

Area of interest
1689 1715

Dumbarton Castle

An ancient and important site on the River Clyde. The base of the rock is protected by eighteenth century walls and batteries and housed a government garrison. After the '45 Jacobite prisoners were kept here including the notable James Campbell of Auchinbreck (one of the 'Seven Men of Moidart') and Aeneas MacDonald. Now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

Access

Opening hours (please check). Admission charge (free to HS members).

Website

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/dumbarton-castle/overview/

Contact

telephone: 01389 733 438

Area of interest
1745

Castle Fraser

Built in the fifteenth century with later additions it is one of the largest tower houses in Scotland. Clan Fraser were (generally!) Jacobite supporters and included the famous Simon 'the Fox' Fraser, Lord Lovat. Some of his letters are on display in the castle.

Access

Seasonal opening, please check. Admission charge (free to NTS members).

Website

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/castle-fraser/

Contact

email: castlefraser@nts.org.uk
telephone: 01330833463

Area of interest
1715 1719 1745

Saint-Georges-sur-Loire – Castle of Serrant

Located in Anjou, 50 miles east of Nantes, the Castle of Serrant was the residence acquired by the Walsh family in 1748 after the failure of the last Jacobite rebellion. Antoine Walsh was a fervent Jacobite who provided Prince Charles Edward Stuart with a ship bound for Scotland, the Du Teillay on 3 July 1745 (N.S.) and helped to procure weapons, ammunition and supplies for his quest. Antoine Walsh himself accompanied the Prince to Scotland, his ship laying anchor in Loch Nan Uamh on 25 July 1745 (O.S.). On 7 August 1745 (O.S.), the Prince handed over several letters to Antoine Walsh before the departure of the Du Teillay on 8 August. After Prince Charles Edward Stuart was rescued and brought back to Brittany in October 1746, the Walsh family commissioned a large painting in 1755 portraying Antoine Walsh receiving those very letters from the Prince on the shore of Borrodale in Loch Nan Uamh, in the Moidart area of Lochaber, in the Scottish Highlands. The painting was commissioned to commemorate Antoine Walsh’s unflinching support to Prince Charles Eduard Stuart. The Walsh family had the painting especially framed with the arms of England, Scotland, and Ireland as a tribute to the Stuart dynasty. The large painting, which has been registered with the French Monuments Historiques since 2019 can still be seen today above the fireplace of the magnificent library of the Castle of Serrant.

Access

Opening hours for guided tours. Request the library as a supplement to the guided tour to admire the painting of Prince Charles Stuart and Antoine Walsh.

Website

https://www.chateau-serrant.net

Contact

https://www.chateau-serrant.net/en/contact-chateau-de-serrant. Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 39 13 01

Huntingtower Castle, nr Perth

A unique 15th century double tower house originally built by the Ruthven family but owned by the Murrays of Tullibardine since the early 1600s. Birthplace of Lord George Murray (1694 - 1760) the Jacobite general who took part in the 1715,1719 and 1745 Risings. Now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge. Free to HS members. Very limited parking.

Website

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/huntingtower-castle/overview/

Contact

tel: 01738 627 231

email: customer@hes.scot

Area of interest
1715 1719 1745

Drum Castle

The 13th century tower of Drum was extended in the 17th century when it was the home of the Irvine family. Alexander Irvine, 17th Laird of Drum, joined the Jacobites just after Prestonpans and travelled with the army into England. He also fought at Falkirk and Culloden, and evaded capture by Government troops by hiding in a secret room in the tower. The house is now in the care of the National Trust for Scotland

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge (free to NTS members).

Website

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/drum-castle

Contact

Tel: 01330 700334
Email: drumcastle@nts.org.uk

Area of interest
1745

Alloa Tower

This fourteenth century tower house, much altered internally, was the birthplace of John Erskine, 6th Earl of Mar, leader of the 1715 Jacobite Rising. He was nicknamed 'Bobbing John' for his tendency to switch from faction to faction. The tower interior has been restored to its appearance in 1712 and is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.

Access

Opening hours (please check). Admission charge. Free to NTS members.

Website

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/alloa-tower

Contact

Email: alloatower@nts.org.uk
Tel:01259211701

Area of interest
1715

Fingask Castle

This 16th century tower house is the home of the Thriepland family. David Thriepland joined the Jacobite Rising of 1715. James VIII, the Old Pretender, stayed at Fingask twice in 1716 and in 1745 Prince Charles Edward visited the house. David, the elder son, was killed at the Battle of Prestonpans. His brother Stuart was physician to the Prince. The castle was sacked and partially demolished in 1746. Both Prince Charles Edward and his father are said to have approached the castle up the long yew avenue, known as the King’s Walk.

Access

Not usually open to the public. Occasional open days and events.

Website

https://www.fingaskcastle.co.uk/

Contact

Phone: 01821 670 777
email: info@fingaskcastle.com

Elcho Castle

One of Scotland’s best-preserved 16th-century tower houses. The Wemyss family, who were traditionally loyal to the Stuarts had their main home at Wemyss Castle in Fife. However, Lord Elcho, the heir to the 5th Earl of Wemyss, almost certainly lived at Elcho Castle for part of his upbringing and Elcho was already closely associated with James VIII and III before the '45; James admitted him to the Royal Company of Archers in 1741 and appointed him Colonel of Dragoons in 1744. Elcho commanded Prince Charles Edward’s Life Guards during the '45. He would recognise the castle today. Now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

Access

Opening hours (seasonal). Exterior accessible at all times. Admission charge. Free to HS members.

Website

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/elcho-castle/

Contact

Tel: 01738 639 998

Area of interest
1745