Listing Region: Tayside & Fife

Huntingtower Castle, nr Perth

A unique 15th century double tower house originally built by the Ruthven family but owned by the Murrays of Tullibardine since the early 1600s. Birthplace of Lord George Murray (1694 - 1760) the Jacobite general who took part in the 1715,1719 and 1745 Risings. Now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge. Free to HS members. Very limited parking.

Website

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/huntingtower-castle/overview/

Contact

tel: 01738 627 231

email: customer@hes.scot

Area of interest
1715 1719 1745

Fingask Castle

This 16th century tower house is the home of the Thriepland family. David Thriepland joined the Jacobite Rising of 1715. James VIII, the Old Pretender, stayed at Fingask twice in 1716 and in 1745 Prince Charles Edward visited the house. David, the elder son, was killed at the Battle of Prestonpans. His brother Stuart was physician to the Prince. The castle was sacked and partially demolished in 1746. Both Prince Charles Edward and his father are said to have approached the castle up the long yew avenue, known as the King’s Walk.

Access

Not usually open to the public. Occasional open days and events.

Website

https://www.fingaskcastle.co.uk/

Contact

Phone: 01821 670 777
email: info@fingaskcastle.com

Dundee Law

One of the best viewpoints in Scotland. Viscount Dundee raised the Stuart Royal Standard here on 13 April 1689, marking the start of the 1689 rising. A month later he came back hoping for defectors from the army regiment stationed inside the town walls, some of whom had sent him secret messages of support. Reached easily by bus, car or on foot. Dundee's war memorial now crowns the Law.

Access

At all times

Area of interest
1689

Elcho Castle

One of Scotland’s best-preserved 16th-century tower houses. The Wemyss family, who were traditionally loyal to the Stuarts had their main home at Wemyss Castle in Fife. However, Lord Elcho, the heir to the 5th Earl of Wemyss, almost certainly lived at Elcho Castle for part of his upbringing and Elcho was already closely associated with James VIII and III before the '45; James admitted him to the Royal Company of Archers in 1741 and appointed him Colonel of Dragoons in 1744. Elcho commanded Prince Charles Edward’s Life Guards during the '45. He would recognise the castle today. Now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

Access

Opening hours (seasonal). Exterior accessible at all times. Admission charge. Free to HS members.

Website

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/elcho-castle/

Contact

Tel: 01738 639 998

Area of interest
1745

Scone Palace

From at least the 9th century the crowning-place of the Kings of Scots, a highly symbolic site and, since 1604, the home of the Murray family who were fined and imprisoned on multiple occasions for supporting the Jacobites – in 1689 for giving dinner to Claverhouse. David Murray, 5th Viscount Stormont, played host to the 'Old Pretender' (the Stuart James III and VIII) for three weeks at Scone in 1715/16 when the palace was garrisoned by a special royal bodyguard and James published several Royal Proclamations in an effort to set up his rule in Scotland. His coronation, planned to be held at Scone on 23 January 1716, never happened and the 5th Viscount was again fined and jailed along with his son David, later the 6th Viscount. Undeterred, David’s sisters entertained Prince Charles Edward at Scone thirty years later during the ’45. David's younger brother James was created Jacobite Earl of Dunbar in 1721 and became Prince Charles Edward's Governor and tutor. The collection contains Jacobite portraits and items from the Viscounts Stormont.

Access

Opening hours (seasonal). Admission charge.

Website

https://scone-palace.co.uk

Contact

Tel: 01738 552300
email: help@scone-palace.co.uk

Black Watch Museum

Historic Balhousie Castle is both the home of The Black Watch and the unique setting for their regimental museum. The castle was owned by the Hay family, the Earls of Kinnoull. The Seventh Earl and his heir were imprisoned in Edinburgh Castle in 1715 for their Jacobite sympathies. The Black Watch was founded in 1739 as one of the companies that provided a 'watch' over the Highland clans. It was known in Gaelic as Am Freiceadan Dubh, 'the dark or 'black watch. The displays illustrate the history of the regiment.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge. Parking, café, shop.

Website

https://theblackwatch.co.uk/

Contact

Phone: 01738 638152
Email: enquiries@theblackwatch.co.uk

Area of interest
1745 Collection

Sherrifmuir

The battle of Sherrifmuir on 13 November effectively ended the 1715 Jacobite Rising. The Jacobite army of the Earl of Mar met the Government army, led by the Earl of Argyll, on the moorland between Dunblane and Auchterarder. Despite Argyll being outnumbered by two to one, the battle was indecisive with both sides claiming victory but the Jacobites were disheartened, returned to Perth and dispersed. The roadside Clan MacRae Monument is close to the Jacobite position. The core of the battlefield has been under forestry for many years but is being cleared and replanted.

Access

Free at all times. A path from the MacRae Monument leads north west to the 'Gathering Stone'.

Website

https://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resource-centre/stuart-rebellions/battleview.asp?BattleFieldId=70

Area of interest
1715

Blair Castle

Seat of the Murrays since the 17th century. The family took part in all of the Jacobite risings but with members on opposing sides. The castle was briefly besieged in 1689 when the pro-Jacobite Factor refused entry to Lord John Murray. The siege was lifted when Claverhouse arrived and held a council of war there on the eve of Killiecrankie. Prince Charles Edward occupied the castle in September 1745 and again in February 1746. A small Government garrison was installed in March and was promptly, if briefly, besieged by Lord George Murray - the last castle siege in British history. The castle's collections contain many Jacobite items.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge.

Website

https://blair-castle.co.uk/

Contact

Tel: 01796 481207
Fax: 01796 481487

Email: office@blair-castle.co.uk

Glamis Castle

Spectacular Castle, the home of the 5th Earl of Strathmore who supported the Jacobite cause in 1715 and who was killed at Sherrifmuir. His successor welcomed James VIII and III (the ‘Old Pretender’) to the castle in January 1716 and it was occupied by Cumberland’s troops in 1746. There is a large collection of Jacobite items including many portraits, items relating to James VIII and others worn by Viscount Dundee at Killiecrankie. The grounds contain a tree planted in 1746 to mark the end of 1745 rising.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge.

Website

https://www.glamis-castle.co.uk

Contact

Email: enquiries@glamis-castle.co.uk
Phone: +44(0) 1307 840393