Listing Region: Forth & Lothians

St Ninian’s Old Kirk Tower, Stirling

The largest surviving part of the church destroyed by the explosion of the Jacobite army's gunpowder on 1 February 1746 - probably as a result of an accident during the chaotic evacuation of the town.

Access

Exterior visible at all times from the adjacent graveyard.

Area of interest
1745

Alloa Tower

This fourteenth century tower house, much altered internally, was the birthplace of John Erskine, 6th Earl of Mar, leader of the 1715 Jacobite Rising. He was nicknamed 'Bobbing John' for his tendency to switch from faction to faction. The tower interior has been restored to its appearance in 1712 and is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.

Access

Opening hours (please check). Admission charge. Free to NTS members.

Website

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/alloa-tower

Contact

Email: alloatower@nts.org.uk
Tel:01259211701

Area of interest
1715

Scottish National Portrait Gallery

The Scottish National Portrait Gallery opened to the public in 1889 as the world’s first purpose-built portrait gallery. Its collections contain images of all the major characters who took part in the the Jacobite Risings and the Government response. Room 4 is currently displaying 'Imaging Power: The Visual Culture of the Jacobite Cause'. The collection includes several very good portraits and miniatures of Prince Charles Edward Stuart, James VIII and III, Prince Henry/Cardinal York, Viscount Dundee, James Drummond, third Duke of Perth, and Flora Macdonald. There are also collections of Jacobite glasses and Jacobite medals. Please check current exhibitions before visiting as these do change.

Access

Opening hours. Admission free. Shop and cafe on site.

Website

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/visit/scottish-national-portrait-gallery

Contact

Phone: 0131 624 6200
Web: https://www.nationalgalleries.org/content/contact-us

Area of interest
Collection

Holyroodhouse

The renaissance royal palace at the foot of Edinburgh's High Street was used by Prince Charles Edward Stuart for six weeks in 1745 after the Battle of Prestonpans, and became his court and headquarters in the city. The Great Gallery was used as the Prince's Audience Chamber during the day, and transformed in the evening for extravagant balls and receptions. The Prince dined in public in the Ante-Chamber and the sumptuous bed where he may have slept is in Lord Darnley's Bedchamber. The Prince left Holyroodhouse in October 1745. The Royal Collection contains many important Jacobite items.

Access

Opening hours. Admission charge. Cafe, shop. Limited parking nearby. Accessible on foot of by public transport from the city centre.

Website

https://www.rct.uk/visit/palace-of-holyroodhouse

Contact

Contact: https://www.rct.uk/about/royal-collection-trust/contact-us

Linlithgow Palace

Renaissance palace of the Stewart kings begun in 1424. Visited by Prince Charles Edward in September 1745 , it is said that the 16th century fountain in the courtyard ran with wine in his honour. The Duke of Cumberland’s army burned down most of the house in January 1746 but the impressive shell remains. Now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

Access

Admission Charge. Free to Historic Scotland members. Exterior visible from public spaces. Within walking distance of railway station. Car park to front of palace.

Website

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/linlithgow-palace/overview/

Contact

Phone: 01506 842 896

National Museum of Scotland

A national museum with wide-ranging collections containing a large quantity of very important Jacobite material including weapons, medals, costume, glass, manuscripts and personal items including Prince Charles’ silver canteen. The standard of the Appin Stewarts carried at Culloden is currently on display. The regimental colour of Barrels Regiment, also carried at Culloden is not. Please check if you are hoping to see specific items.

Access

Opening hours. Admission free (Some special exhibitions have admission charge).

Website

https://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-scotland

Contact

Email: info@nms.ac.uk
Phone:  0300 123 6789

Falkirk Muir Battlefield Trail and Monument

The Battle of Falkirk Muir was fought on the afternoon of 17th January 1746 between Jacobite forces commanded by Prince Charles Edward and Lord George Murray, and the Government troops of General Henry Hawley. It was the largest battle of the ’45 and a Jacobite victory. A circular trail of 4km takes in the monument and key locations.

Access

At all times. Free.

Website

https://www.callendarestate.co.uk/battle-of-falkirk-trail

Contact

https://www.callendarestate.co.uk/contact-us