The renaissance royal palace at the foot of Edinburgh's High Street was used by Prince Charles Edward Stuart for six weeks in 1745 after the Battle of Prestonpans, and became his court and headquarters in the city. The Great Gallery was used as the Prince's Audience Chamber during the day, and transformed in the evening for extravagant balls and receptions. The Prince dined in public in the Ante-Chamber and the sumptuous bed where he may have slept is in Lord Darnley's Bedchamber. The Prince left Holyroodhouse in October 1745. The Royal Collection contains many important Jacobite items.
Opening hours. Admission charge. Cafe, shop. Limited parking nearby. Accessible on foot of by public transport from the city centre.