In the aftermath of Killiecrankie the victorious Jacobites moved south to attack the government's garrison at Dunkeld on 21 August 1689. The Cameronian regiment fortified the cathedral and held them off, although their colonel, William Cleland, was killed and is buried in the cathedral's nave . The town was badly damaged during the fighting. The cathedral choir now serves as the parish church and also houses the Chapter House Museum while the ruinous nave and grounds are in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.
Parking available in Dunkeld. Cathedral is visible from the grounds. The grounds are accessible but there is currently no visitor access to the cathedral due to restrictions in place as a precautionary measure while high level masonry inspections are made.